Sunday, March 15, 2009

Crock Pot recipes

One dinner that both my kids pretty reliably like is Roast Beef and Mashed Potatoes. I got this recipe from an e-group that I belong to and people were raving so I decided it was time to give it a try.


Coke Roast

Into your crockpot gently throw:

1 3-4 pound beef roast

1 packet of dry onion soup mix

Several generous squirts of ketchup

1 can of Coke (not diet, not Vanilla Coke, the regular kind - not Pepsi)

Cover, turn on high, go away and come back in 6-8 hours.The meat is so tender it will fall off your fork. It is very flavorful. No,it doesn't taste like Coke. No, it doesn't taste like ketchup but there is a nice, light tomato taste. It's very, very tasty.
(For the picture I had poured the coke around the roast to show the ketchup, but I later turned the roast over as the ketchup was going nowhere. Next time I will just pour the coke allover the top of the roast.)

Our conclusion...it turned out very well - We made baked potato instead of mashed. The roast we had was a little too big for us so we will have the excess roast and the saved 'au jus' (which is very tasty) for french dip sandwiches another time. My other conclusion...my kids don't necessarily need to be distracted with building a perfect baked potato at dinnertime...
Photo 58- Day 74

0 comments: