Sunday, March 29, 2009

Amish Friendship Bread

I have heard of these breads before, you get a starter and follow directions. There isn't a way to make the bread unless you have the starter...

One of my neighbors offered me a starter and I was happy to take it so I started with this on my way to some delicious Amish Friendhip bread...and 4 starters that I would need to pass on...

Laura was baking her first loaves the same night she gave me the starter...the next day I learned she had soupy glop instead of a loaf of bread. It would take 10 days before I would know if the starter she gave me was doomed or if I would yield the yummy bread she told me she had previously sampled.

So, I mashed the bag for a few days, I added ingredients and then mashed the bag (as it grew into a large overinflated bubble) a few more days and it was time to make the bread. I hadn't read ahead other than to know I was not supposed to use metal so I stopped and got a couple of glass pans to bake it in...after all since it had been gloppy bread for Laura I didn't want to take any chances in breaking the Amish traditions.
Laura called as I was measuring out the starters...3 to pass on and one for me to use in the next round. I was optimistic...then it happened....I had to pick up the phone and call Laura...I was caused to doubt the authenticity of the Amish Friendship bread when it called for instant pudding!?! Really? The Amish used instant pudding?

On that call about the pudding I heard that Laura and her coworkers were calling it, "Amish lose-your-friendships bread"...

Not to worry, mine turned out beautifully and it was DELICIOUS!! Three starters went to pre-school and I have another I am mashing daily in the kitchen...


Photos 62 (oops - been waiting awhile) and 68

2 comments:

Michele said...

Must have been Laura's pans or oven. We made bread and muffins which were delicious, too! And from the same starter batch as yours.

Mary Anne said...

I did this years ago. You're right--the bread is delicious. Then I had all this starter, and I had to keep feeding the beast and pretty soon I was a slave to my Amish friendship bread starter. I couldn't stop feeding it, and I couldn't give it away fast enough. Whew. The memory.r