Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Family Money

Not the good kind of family money, like the Rockefellers or the Gates. This family money is another attempt to stumble onto a system where my kids can get on task and I can get off nagging.

I lifted this idea from an email that I read and then tweaked it to suit me. At our house the kids have certain things they need to get done every morning and evening – routine things, like getting clothes set out for the next day. If they get them done, they get paid for it. If something goes undone or if I do it they don’t get paid.

They also have certain chores that are their responsibility – like putting away their own laundry. If they do it, great – if they would rather I do it, I charge them for it.

There are things they need to buy as well. If they want computer time (beyond any ‘free’ time on the computer that I give them) there is a charge for it - partly to reinforce ideas that money is used as a bartering tool and that you have to make choices and partly to keep a better eye on how much time they spend on the computer.

The family money is worth very little on the cash market – but they can accumulate and trade for that as well.

Early observations…
S is content to pay me to do her work
J thinks it is fun to hire S to do any little thing that crosses her mind
Helping mom on cleaning cabinets and the like is more attractive when money comes from it
Not doing a chore you find distasteful (“that’s no fun”) means you see that your sister gets paid and you do not
Computer time is so worth paying for – biggest draws right now are stardoll for S and for J - something where she can earn a monster truck game.

Photo 7 - Day 28

0 comments: