Monday, June 8, 2009

Pillowcases for smiles...


For a little over a year, I have been involved with ConKerr Cancer...A case for smiles.

Born from a mom of a cancer stricken teen, this organization blew into national recognition through Martha Stewart's show recognizing Cindy Kerr for her efforts. After cheering up her son's hospital room with new pillowcases whenever he went into the hospital, Cindy expanded to the ward...other wards...recruited helpers...expanded to other hospitals...and now, with (at least) 83 chapters in the US, Canada and South Africa, kids everywhere are getting a little bit of fun and color added to their hospital rooms. I think everyone can be cheered with a personality filled colorful pillowcase when they are feeling crappy and I love the novelty fabrics so this charity effort is tailor made for me.
You can find a local chapter to support or our own Georgia chapter if you like...

I made a few more cases this week (seen above) and here is my fabric update...

as of June 7 :

Fabric usage goal – 66.66
Fabric Added This Week – 4 yards (YIKES!) border fabric on project and 1/2 price irrestible kid wizard fabric for pillowcases.
Fabric Added May 2009 to Date – 6.83 yards
Fabric Used This Week – 10.69 yards
Fabric Used May 2009 to Date – 31.44 yards
Net Usage - 24.61
Left on goal - 42.05 (about 6 yds each month...)

1 comments:

Jan J. said...

Elaina, you are the best! I can't believe how many wonderful causes you have given of your time, materials and talent to, and as a busy single mom of two little ones. These pillowcases would cheer up pretty much anyone - they are so fun and cheerful. Kudos to your generosity. I am feeling a bit ashamed and inspired to do something, somewhere, soon! Best of all, you are being a GREAT example to your girls - not that you need a pat on the back from me but I am truly impressed!