Saturday, October 4, 2008

And so it begins...

We got a real start on our postcrossing project today - went to WalMart and got our first batch of postcards, got our stickers for our map (green for outgoing, blue for incoming) hung the map and wrote the postcards. Now for some results...

J is posing with the postcard that is on its way to The Netherlands. She is wearing a Hong Kong dragon shirt anxiously awaiting the first time we have a postcard - coming or going - involving China. That shirt was purchased in Hong Kong when J was 6 months old and she has been wearing it since she was 2. She loves that it still fits...I think we have passed 'fits', but I appreciate the sentimental attachment.


S is showing off her first postcard to mail to Finland, she enjoys signing the cards herself and at 4 she enjoys adding a few extra letters to her name. No - she does not think she is wearing the traditional garb of Finland, she thinks a bathing suit is appropriate any time of the year. I had her add the skirt for the photo but if you look closely you'll see the ruffle of her bikini bottom peeking out.

So, tomorrow it is off to the post office and then we begin the process of waiting to see that someone receives our cards and of course, we get some!



4 comments:

slim4life said...

Okay, I signed us up!! Thanks again for reminding me about postcrossing.com - and funnily enough, our first card will go to someone in Finland, too! I tried to sign up for the forums there, but after 4 attempts, gave up - the word verification is AWFUL - have had trouble with that particular word ver. service before. Interesting the different types of postcards people request in their profiles (we signed up for 5, too) - not sure how I feel about that - one of the people we're supposed to send to only wants Cat postcards - and I am NOT going to go hunting for a cat postcard, sorry! We're going to Wal-Mart for some cards... unless I decide to digiscrap some and have them printed. Also need a map like yours - great idea - just not sure where we'll put it! LOL!!

Elaina said...

We needed a good bit of wallspace for our map, but another idea is mounting one n posterboard and sliding it behind a bookcase for storage.

Sheri said...

Elaina, I just posted about our postcrossing on my blog - am still trying to figure out how best to use the map to illustrated traveling cards - any lessons learned?? Am going to check the forum there, too!

Sheri

Elaina said...

The postcrossing site has a map that they update for you - after your sent cards are received or after you post a received card. I have large maps on the wall to give a better 'one picture' to my kids. I wonder if a World Atlas book wouldn't work well, too - more apt to find the smaller cities where people live.